Here are the basic steps in wearing Tefillin
1. To begin with roll up your sleeve on your weaker arm (right handed people left and left handed people right) to just above your bicep. Make sure you take off rings and watches. Note: You should already have your tallit on.
2. Unwrap the straps of the Tefillin Shel Yad (The Hand Tefillin). Place the box on the bicep of the arm so that the leather piece sticks out on the side closest to your shoulder. The knot should be placed on the top of the bicep muscle on the side closest to your body. When everything is in place say this blessing:
Praised are you, Adonai our G-d, Sovereign of the Universe, who has made us holy with
the mitzvot and instructed us to wear tefillin.
3. Pull the strap until the tefillin are bound around the arm to keep it in place.
4. Wind the strap seven times around your arm. Note: Ashkenazic Jews wind the strap clockwise and Sephardic Jews wind it counter clock wise.
5. After the seventh wrap bring the strap to the outside of your hand and wrap it around to hold it there.
6. Unwrap the Tefillin Shel Rosh (The Head Tefillin) and place it on your head. It should be on top of your forehead and between your eyes. The knot should be in the back of your head. The straps should be brought forward and draped over each shoulder. Once this is done say the blessing:
Baruch ata Adonai elohanynu melech ha’olam asher kidshanu bemitzvotav vetzivanu al mitzvat tefillin.
Praised are you, Adonai our G-d, Sovereign of the Universe, who has made us holy with the mitzvot and instructed us concerning the precept of tefillin.
7. Unwind the strap on you palm. Wrap the strap around your palm and three times around your middle finger,
once around the lower part, one around the upper and one joining the two. This forms the letter “dalet” the second letter of “Shaddai”. Now say this blessing:
Ve’ayrastich lee l’plam ve’ayrastich lee betzedek u’mishpat u’vcesed u’vrachamin ve’ayrastich lee be’emunah veyada’at et Adonai.
I will betroth you to Me forever. I will betroth you to Me with righteousness, with justice, with kindness, and with compassion. I will betroth you to Me with faithfulness, and you shall know G-d.
Please note that this page contains the name of G-d. If you print it out, please treat it with appropriate respect.