According to the great Jewish philosopher Moses Maimonides (know as RaMBaM), there are three types of blessings:
These are blessings recited before eating, drinking or smelling nice things.
- Eating bread
- Eating other foods from grain
- Eating fruit
- Drinking wine or grape juice
- Eating foods grown in the ground
- General blessing for other foods and drink
- Smelling fragrant spices
- Smelling the fragrance of shrubs and trees
- Smelling the fragrance of plants and herbs
- Smelling fragrant fruit
These are blessings recited before doing a mitzvah.
These are blessings that express praise and thanks to HaShem.